Article I: Name
The name of this organization shall be the Black and Gold Club, hereinafter referred to as the “BGC” or “Club.”
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of the BGC is to support, promote, and enhance the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) Athletics Program by:
- Fostering enthusiasm and camaraderie among UWM students, alumni, faculty, staff, and the community.
- Providing financial assistance and resources to the UWM Athletics Program.
- Encouraging attendance and participation in UWM athletic events.
- Advocating for the interests and needs of UWM student-athletes.
Article III: Membership
Section 1: Eligibility Membership in the BGC shall be open to all UWM students, alumni, faculty, staff, and community members who support the purpose of the Club.
Section 2: Membership Categories The BGC shall have the following membership categories: Student, Individual, Family, and Corporate/Business. Membership fees and benefits for each category shall be determined by the Executive Board.
Section 3: Non-Discrimination The BGC shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status in its membership or activities.
Article IV: Executive Board
Section 1: Composition The Executive Board shall consist of the following officers: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Membership Coordinator. Additional officers may be added as deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
Section 2: Duties The Executive Board shall be responsible for the overall management and direction of the BGC, including setting goals, planning events, managing finances, and coordinating with UWM Athletics Program officials.
Section 3: Terms Executive Board members shall serve a term of two years and may be re-elected for consecutive terms.
Section 4: Elections Elections for Executive Board positions shall be held annually. The election process and timeline shall be determined by the Executive Board.
Article V: Meetings
Section 1: General Meetings The BGC shall hold at least one general membership meeting per academic semester. The purpose of these meetings shall be to provide updates on Club activities, discuss future plans, and gather input from members.
Section 2: Executive Board Meetings The Executive Board shall hold regular meetings, at least once per month, to manage the Club’s operations and make decisions on behalf of the membership.
Section 3: Quorum A quorum for any general membership meeting shall consist of at least 10% of the current membership. A quorum for an Executive Board meeting shall be a majority of its members.
Article VI: Finances
Section 1: Fiscal Year The fiscal year of the BGC shall be July 1st to June 30th.
Section 2: Budget The Executive Board shall develop and approve an annual budget, which shall be presented to the membership for informational purposes.
Section 3: Financial Reports The Treasurer shall provide financial reports at each general membership meeting and as requested by the Executive Board.
Article VII: Amendments
These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present at a general membership meeting, provided that written notice of the proposed amendment(s) has been given to the membership at least 14 days prior to the meeting.
Article VIII: Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) Agreements
Section 1: Purpose
The BGC acknowledges the importance of empowering student-athletes to benefit from their Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL). This article outlines the guidelines and procedures for entering into NIL agreements with members of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Men’s Basketball team while ensuring compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
Section 2: Eligibility
Student-athletes on the Men’s Basketball team may enter into NIL agreements with the BGC, provided that they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The student-athlete must be in good academic standing at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- The student-athlete must adhere to all applicable NCAA rules and regulations regarding NIL activities.
- The student-athlete must not be under any disciplinary action or suspension by the University or the Athletics Program.
Section 3: Proposal and Approval Process
- The student-athlete or their authorized representative must submit a written proposal to the BGC Executive Board detailing the scope of the NIL agreement, including the services to be provided, the duration of the agreement, and the proposed compensation.
- The BGC Executive Board shall review the proposal to ensure compliance with NCAA rules, BGC bylaws, and University policies.
- The BGC Executive Board may request additional information or modifications to the proposal before making a decision.
- The BGC Executive Board shall either approve or reject the proposal by a majority vote. The decision will be communicated to the student-athlete or their authorized representative in writing.
- If the proposal is approved, a formal NIL agreement will be drafted and signed by both parties.
Section 4: Compliance and Reporting
- The BGC and the student-athlete shall comply with all NCAA and University reporting requirements related to NIL activities.
- The BGC Executive Board shall designate a compliance officer responsible for monitoring and ensuring compliance with NCAA rules and regulations concerning NIL agreements.
- Any concerns or potential violations of NCAA rules or University policies related to NIL agreements shall be reported immediately to the University’s Athletics Compliance Office.
Section 5: Termination of Agreement
The BGC reserves the right to terminate an NIL agreement with a student-athlete under any of the following circumstances:
- The student-athlete is found to be in violation of NCAA rules, BGC bylaws, or University policies.
- The student-athlete is no longer eligible to participate in the Men’s Basketball team due to academic, disciplinary, or other reasons.
- The student-athlete breaches any terms or conditions of the NIL agreement.
Termination of the agreement must be approved by a majority vote of the BGC Executive Board and communicated in writing to the student-athlete or their authorized representative.
Article IX: Dissolution
Upon the dissolution of the BGC, any remaining assets shall be donated to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Athletics Program or another UWM organization with a similar purpose, as determined by the Executive Board.